Children's Homeless Intervention Project
Children's Homeless Intervention Project for Students (CHIPS)
|Who Is Eligible for CHIPS?|
If you lost your housing and now live in a shelter, motel, vehicle, camping ground, or a temporary trailer; on the street; doubled-up with family or friends; or in another type of temporary or inadequate housing, your child might be able to receive help through a federal law called the McKinney -Vento Act.
What Rights Do Eligible Children and Youth Have Under the McKinney - Vento Act?
Under the McKinney - Vento Act, children and youth in homeless situations have the right to:
Questions for Parents to Ask at School
Your children are encouraged by your interest in their day at school, their homework, and the papers they bring home. They also benefit when you take the time to ask questions or visit their school. If your child qualifies under McKinney - Vento services, here are some questions you can ask at your child's school about special supports that may be available.
1. Who is the CHIPS (Homeless Contact) at this school?
2. What transportation is available for my child to stay in school?
3. If my child changes schools, can you help us transfer records quickly?
4. How can my child receive free meals at school?
5. How can my child receive free school supplies if needed?
6. Who can help if my child needs special education services? How quickly can these services be set up?
7. What academic help is available for my child such as after school tutoring?
8. What programs can help develop my child's talents and address his/her unique needs?
9. Are there sports, music, or other activities available for my child?
10. How can my child go on class field trips or participate in other school activities if I can't pay for them?
11. Is there a pre-school program for my younger children?
How Do I Get Services for My Child?
To receive services under McKinney - Vento, a Student Residency Questionnaire must be filled out. All schools have copies of the form in three different languages. It also can be found under files on this website.
| For more information contact either the Monroe County School District or CHIPS Contact at your school.
305-293-1400 Ext. 53394
Gerald Adams Elementary
305-293-1609 Ext. 51336
Stanley Switlik Elementaru
305-289-2490 Ext. 59316
Poinciana Elementary School
305-293-1630 Ext. 52305
Key Largo School
Plantation Key School
305-853-3281 Ext. 58305
305-745-3282 Ext. 50322
Horace O’ Bryant School
"Lucy" Tara Andrews
305-296-5658 Ext. 65433
Coral Shores High School
305-853-3222 Ext. 56345
Key West High School
293-1549 Ext. 54392
Marathon High School
305-289-2480 Ext. 55357
KEYS Center Academy
305-293-1400 Ext. 51380
Big Pine Academy
Treasure Village Montessori
Key West Montessori
305-293-1400 Ext. 53430
Ocean Studies Charter School
Key West Collegiate Academy
No "Announcements" exist(s)